Changing a student's legal or preferred name

  • Students have two names saved in the CHCCS Student Information System (PowerSchool).

    • A student's legal name is the name that appears on a birth certificate, passport, or adoption decree. This is the name under which a student must be enrolled. Legal documentation (court order, adoption decree, certified birth certificate or passport) must be provided to change a student's legal name.
    • A parent may request that a preferred first and/or middle name appear in PowerSchool. CHCCS does not have the ability to display a preferred last name. No documentation is required.


    To change a student's legal or preferred name, please complete the Name Change Form and submit it with any required documentation.

    The form and documents can be emailed to or dropped off at Lincoln Center.

    A parent may change a student's preferred name for any of the following reasons:

    • A student is being harassed/bullied as a result of their legal name being displayed.
    • A student is transitioning and has requested to be identified with their preferred name.
    • A student is commonly known as and prefers to be identified by their middle name.

    Legal Name and Preferred Name Display 

    The legal name will be displayed in the following reports or systems:

    • NC Transcript
    • High School Diplomas
    • EVAAS
    • ECATS 
    • School Nutrition

    The preferred name will be displayed in the following reports or systems: 

    • Report Cards 
    • Teacher Gradebook
    • SchoolNet
    • Canvas 
    • Transportation